Sunday, April 28, 2013

Ask Anything: Got the Blues?


My cousin Stacey and I have been best friends since we were babies. She is just six months older, but she has always been the more dominant personality. She used to tell me lies about baby ducks living in our grandmother's shag carpeting. Now Stacey turns to me for fashion advice. Should I threaten to punch her in the face? Should I make-up a story about baby animals living in her closet? NEVER! This is far too serious a matter.

Stacey asked a really great 2-part question that I think could benefit a lot of people with their summer wardrobe. Both questions have to do with matching shades of blue... never an easy task!

"First... I have a navy and white striped shirt which I wear with a white jacket (and it looks super cute).  I wore black pants with it and nude shoes which I equally liked, BUT I don't particularly like black and navy blue together.  Besides jeans (because I obviously can't wear them to work), what color pants would you wear with that shirt and not look ridic?  ANNNDD... I have a dress that is navy blue, light blue, tan, and white.  What color shoes would you wear with them? (besides your usual nude, white, or blue?) --Stacey

First, to the navy blue and white striped shirt.  Stacey mentioned later in her e-mail that she has a pair of green pants that she recently bought, and I say YES.  (We all know how I feel about colored pants).  Navy blue is technically a neutral, so wearing this top with a pair of colored pants is a definite fashion do.  Another color that could work with it is red, which, paired with gold jewelry, would give an adorable nautical look.  If Stacey ever plans on wearing the top without the white jacket, she could try white pants for an extra light and summery feel.

Now, Stacey's question about the dress had me stumped at first.  My obvious first reaction would be tan or nude shoes, but she wants to think a little more outside the box than that.  And why not?  I asked Stacey to send me a picture of her dress, and I used Polyvore to put something together.

Blue Summer
"Blue Summer" by VeeLynn on Polyvore... created especially for Stacey. :)
The verdict is: color blocking!  An excellent spring and summer trend.  There are a couple of options for shoes.  A sunshine yellow pump (or flat) contrasts nicely with the blue in the dress.  A matching yellow belt pulls it all together.  (Although the belt is optional since I know how Stacey feels about belts).  Another option is this adorable Nine West wedge.  It has all the colors of the dress plus some complimentary yellow and mint green.  Even though the wedge has its own pattern, it works with the striped dress because they are in the same "family" of patterns. (In this case, stripes!)  As far as jewelry: dress it up with some pretty gold earrings, or keep it casual with some chunky bangles.

Don't let blues get you down!
~VeeLynn

In The Polyvore Set:
Dress ~ Old Navy, Spring 2013
Pumps ~ Guess, Spring 2013
Wedges ~ Nine West, Spring 2013
Belt ~ Ted Baker, Spring 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment