Monday, May 6, 2013

Trail Blazer

THIS is a great example of how to use what you already have in your closet to make something brand new.  Some of the things in this outfit I've had since high school.  It's also a great example of how more expensive doesn't necessarily mean "better."  It's not always WHAT you wear, but HOW you wear it. (Okay, what  you wear matters a little.)

My husband never puts his sneakers away...
I think my favorite thing about this look is the blazer.  It's a little bit longer and less tailored than a more formal blazer, so it looks a little weird with a pencil skirt or dress pants.  It does, however, look awesome with a pair of skinny jeans.  This is the one thing in this outfit that I bought recently, and I am so happy with it.  In my mind, blazers are the new cardigans.  I used to take a cardigan with me wherever I went, but now I take a blazer.  Blazers give a little more structure to an outfit than a cardigan, and blazers can quickly add just the right amount of edge.

So what piece have I had since high school?  The shoes, of course!  Round toes, chunky heels, and Mary Jane straps are back, baby, and I'm taking full advantage.  The shoes also have some cute details: white "stitching" around the arch and a little white flower on the outside where the strap meets the shoe.  I probably wouldn't wear these shoes with a skirt or dress.  They are fairly casual-looking, and I think the shape of them along with the chunkier heel would look a little unflattering.  Plus, I don't really think of them as a summer shoe.  Yes, they have a white flower, but I still think they are a "cool [not cold] weather" shoe.

All in all, I kind-of felt like a rock star that day.  Cute tee featuring the British flag, sick blazer, the perfect pair of skinny jeans, and I found a way to wear some heels that have gone under-appreciated for far too long.  Feeling like a rock star always makes you look one!

Rock on!
~VeeLynn

In This Outfit:
Tee-Shirt ~ Miley Cyrus for Max Azria (Wal-Mart), ca. 2009? (Don't judge me... it's a cute shirt!)
Blazer ~ American Rag (Macy's), Fall / Winter 2012
Skinny Jeans ~ Ann Taylor LOFT, 2012
Shoes ~ Payless?, ca. 2000?

No comments:

Post a Comment