Monday, April 22, 2013

All Black Attack

So I work at Macy's.  I want a career in fashion, but I have a long way to go from being a retail associate. :-\  As a Macy's associate, we have to wear all black.  We can wear colored shoes and accessories, but mostly it's just all black all the time.  It's can be really easy to fall into a rut and wear the same old black top and black pants day after day.  It's also really easy to look frumpy in layers upon layers of black.  Yes, black is slimming, but piling on monochromatic layers could make even Kate Moss look a little lumpy.  Let's take a look at the VeeLynn approach:

Dork in the middle.
What makes up this ensemble?  Black sweater dress, black leggings, black boots, black bow belt.  I said we could wear colored shoes and accessories, but on this particular day (back when it was colder, obviously) I chose not to.  Another option is to wear a colored top under a black blazer or sweater.  I love a good blazer, but I hate wearing matching business suits.  Nothing against people who wear them, but I just can't pull it off. I think I look frumpy, and -- maybe this has to do with being five-foot-nothing -- I think I look like a kid playing dress-up.  Insecurities abound!

Anyhoo, this sweater dress is perfect because you don't need another layer on top of it to keep warm.  It's perfect with leggings and a pair of boots.  The neck line is interesting... it can be cowl neck or off-the-shoulder if you're feeling frisky. (NSFW!)  I adore anything with a bow.  That's why this belt is perfecto.  Cinches the waist, adds interest and a cuteness factor.  I'm also wearing earrings that you can't really see.  They are white plastic hoops with black polka dots.  A great pop of "color" and funk (yes, funk) while pulling it together.

What's the lesson here?  If you're going to go monochromatic (and for the love of all that is holy, please don't with anything but black or white)... keep it interesting!  Add details -- like a fun neckline or cute belt -- and a tiny pop of color or two.  It's a fine line between overdoing it and making it fun.  As Coco Chanel once said "Before you leave the house, take off one accessory."  Or... never put it on. ;)

Stay colorful!
~VeeLynn

In this outfit:
Sweater Dress ~ Candie's (Kohl's), Winter 20...10?
Leggings ~ Target
Belt ~ Charlotte Russe, 20...11?
Boots ~ Rampage (Macy's), Winter 2012
Earrings ~ Claire's?
Hair ~ awful.


No comments:

Post a Comment