Saturday, April 13, 2013

Ask Anything: Size Matters

Tonight, I had my very first fashion consultation... via Facebook Messenger. It makes me so happy that my friends come to me for advice! I thought that this one situation could benefit a lot of people, so I asked her permission to post. Here we go:

"I need some fun spring outfits - the problem is that my size is right on the verge of regular/plus size. I'm a 14-16. Where do I find knee length dresses?" -- Kristy

Believe me, when it comes to shopping for unusual sizes, I'm the queen of the castle. I happen to fall on the opposite end of the spectrum from Kristy. I can wear children's sizes. (Some good buys there for you tiny gals. But, this is for another post... I digress.) Kristy is an awesome bargain shopper, so like moi, she loves stores like TJ Maxx and picks through the sale racks at department stores. Because, let's face it, who doesn't love a good buy?  Sometimes, though, necessity (or gift cards) demand that we splurge.

My first thought was Lane Bryant, but Kristy is not a true plus size, so their clothes tend to be baggy on her. After minutes of greuling deliberation and feeling like a failure at my future career path, I suggested that she try stores like Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor LOFT, or New York & Company. These stores are great for women of all sizes. Their clothes are great for day-to-night looks, so even though they may be a little pricier, it is always a good investment. Something you can wear to multiple occasions.

One thing about these stores is that there is a lot of vanity sizing going on. What does that mean? It means that their clothes tend to run about a size too large, so that when you need a size smaller than normal, you feel great. So goes the theory. For example, at Ann Taylor I am a size 00 petite or XXS petite. A double-zero I am not. How does this benefit women like Kristy? She would actually be one of the median sizes at these stores, allowing her to move up or down a size or so given the fit of individual garments.

Check out these stores online! Something for all shapes and sizes!
Ann Taylor
Ann Taylor LOFT
New York & Company

Happy shopping!
~VeeLynn

No comments:

Post a Comment